Representatives of the stronger sex suffer from varicose veins at least as often as women because deformities of the veins can occur anywhere. In men, however, the onset of the abnormality is usually associated with intense physical exertion, obesity, and internal organ pathologies. If you find a problem, there should be no particular difficulty in treating varicose veins in men, as there are many ways to get rid of the unpleasant symptoms.
Conservative therapy for varicose veins
The veins in the lower extremities can be deformed in any person, regardless of gender. In men, the signs of varicose veins in the legs as well as the treatment methods are similar to those in women.
The difference is that ladies pay more attention to their health and appearance, so they often turn to a doctor for help. Men usually turn to a specialist if the disease progresses severely and surgery is needed.
Pathology can affect more than just the vessels in the legs. Varicose veins can occur in the abdomen (e. g. , due to overweight), testicles (varicocele), esophagus, and stomach, and the pelvis (PMVMT) in a strong half of humanity.
Medication for varicose veins in men with different localizations is another way to combat the disorder. Medication can help relieve symptoms, especially in the early stages.
When prescribing medicines, it is important to consider their compatibility, otherwise the opposite effect may be achieved.
If we are talking about the first type of medicine, a date is prescribed:
- phlebotonics, which increase venous tone, improve blood flow, eliminate congestion and swelling;
- anticoagulants that reduce the rate of blood clotting, which reduces the risk of blood clots forming;
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that relieve pain and reduce inflammation;
- antioxidants that normalize lipid metabolism, accelerate cell regeneration, normalize blood circulation.
In addition to medications, patients prescribe vitamin and mineral complexes in the form of syrups, tablets, and pills that allow the body to fight the disease better.
Minimally invasive treatments
When the question arises as to how best to treat varicose veins in the legs of men, the phlebologist can suggest a method that does not require a long stay in the clinic and allows for rapid recovery.
We are talking about a minimally invasive procedure that eliminates the violation with local anesthesia:
- endothermic ablation;
The advantage of this approach is that it is painless and less traumatic. The procedure involves making a small incision in the affected area or injecting with a thin needle.
Earlier, the doctor will find out why the disease appeared, as determining the cause of varicose veins allows for a proper approach to treatment.
The technique allows effective treatment of male varicose veins due to laser exposure to areas with radiofrequency or diseased vessels.
The essence of the procedure is to heat the venous wall with a laser (endovenous laser ablation, EVLA) or high frequency radio waves (RFA) until the vessel is completely closed. Thus, blood begins to circulate through healthy veins.
The attractiveness of endothermic ablation is due to:
- performing manipulations through small incisions;
- minimal discomfort;
- significant attenuation of symptoms.
After RFA, the patient may feel a tingling sensation in the operated area. Intravenous laser treatment sometimes causes hemorrhages, heaviness, and pain in the legs. Short-term nerve damage is not ruled out either.
If there are contraindications to endothermic ablation, sclerotherapy (sclerotherapy) may be prescribed. It requires an injection of a chemical (sclerosing agent) into the blood vessel, which also closes the vein.
The technique is most effective in the presence of a vein affected by a varicose vein.
The solution injected with a thin needle thickens the blood vessel and closes it completely. The big advantage of sclerotherapy is that no anesthetic is needed.
Bandages with a sclerosing agent should be used to prevent repeated blood flow to the treated vessel, while special gymnastics is recommended.
The choice of treatment depends on the stage of the disease, the number of varicose veins and the wishes of the patient.
The minimally invasive procedure, despite the positive effect, does not rule out relapse and the need for repeated therapy. Side effects often include blood clots, headaches, pigment spots, and temporary vision loss.
Surgical treatment of varicose veins
Once we’ve figured out if men have varicose veins and what causes them to appear, we need to think about eliminating them. If medication is sufficient with a mild course, severe surgery is required in severe cases.
Conservative treatment and techniques with minimal tissue damage will be ineffective if men's varicose veins are accompanied by a significant worsening of symptoms and complications.
During surgery, a probe is inserted in the direction of the foot through an incision in the proximal end of the venous vessel of the patient's foot, and then another incision is made in the region of the distal end of the vessel. After securing the vein to the probe head with a ligature (special thread), the surgeon carefully pulls it out.
Usually, such manipulations are performed several times because it is difficult to remove the affected vessel in one step.
Short stripping is a procedure in which only a small portion of the deformed vein needs to be removed.
Contraindications to the intervention:
- high risk of postoperative complications;
- violation of blood circulation and lymphatic drainage in the legs;
- blood clots;
- skin infections.
If necessary, stripping is combined with sclerotherapy. This is useful if the varicose veins are affected by veins of different sizes at the same time.
It is a common technique that copes well with the symptoms of male leg defects. To remove the affected vessel, the surgeon makes an incision of 1-2 mm and uses a special instrument (Varadi hook) to lift out the vein, ligate it and cross it. Manipulations are performed under local anesthesia.
Miniflebectomy is usually prescribed:
- large diameter of saphenous veins;
- atypical location of varicose veins (e. g. , in the foot area);
- blood vessels close to the surface of the skin.
Surgery is contraindicated in patients with high blood pressure, cardiac ischemia, trophic ulcers, and infectious skin lesions.
Men who are delayed in surgery may develop cardiovascular disease, severe veins, and vascular pathologies.
This technique has several advantages:
- minimal trauma;
- high performance;
- lack of scars;
- short rehabilitation period.
In rare cases, bruises, bleeding, thrombosis appear after the procedure. During removal of the vessel, the color of the skin may change for a short time.
This is a modern hardware method to eliminate varicose veins in the legs. The anesthesia used is general or local. The vein is removed with one or two small punctures while an instrument with a built-in cold light source is inserted, allowing the varicose nodes to be distinguished.
However, practice shows that such a technique can cause many complications due to the rather rough manipulations performed inside the vein.
In particular, such an intervention can result in seals, hematomas, lymphorrhoeae, skin hyperpigmentation, and neurological disorders.
Traditional treatment methods
One direction of alternative medicine is treatment with folk remedies. Of course, their use will be effective in the early stages of varicose veins. It is essential to consult a phlebologist to properly perform home therapy.
It tells you which methods will be the most effective and safest and which ones are best to avoid.
The plant cleans blood vessels well, promotes the absorption of blood clots, improves metabolism and blood circulation. However, it is important to remember that its seeds are toxic, so it is dangerous to use a drug without the doctor’s knowledge.
Recipe for the tincture and how to use it:
- the seeds (80-100 g) crushed in the coffee grinder are poured with vodka (0. 5 l) and placed in a dark place for 2 weeks while shaking the container regularly;
- the initial dose is 15 drops, diluted in half a glass of water, once a day before meals;
- the daily dose is increased by 1-2 drops to 25;
- the duration of therapy is one month.
Datura is also suitable for compresses. To do this, the cotton wool is moistened in tincture, diluted with water, applied to the affected areas, covered with foil and fixed with a bandage. The procedure should take the same dose of the drug as for internal use.
Honey, garlic and lemon
It is difficult to overestimate the beneficial properties of this product combination, often referred to as the elixir of youth. It is used individually and together, which only enhances the effect.
For example, honey has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and vasodilating properties. It eliminates the accumulation of cholesterol, affects metabolism and removes toxins.
Lemon contains a lot of ascorbic acid. Thanks to him, the work of the circulatory system is normalized and cholesterol plaques are absorbed.
Garlic is known for fighting infections and lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. An excellent cure for improving the flexibility of blood vessels.
Examples of recipes:
- The lemon should be passed twice through a mincer with the skin and all the contents (5 pieces) and the garlic (5-6 cloves). The porridge was mixed with honey (500 g) and placed in a glass jar. Use 1 teaspoon twice a day for treatment. mixture previously diluted in 1 glass of water.
- The mixture prepared by the above method must be filled into a 3-liter vessel and completely filled with warm boiled water. Place the container in the refrigerator for 10 days. Before use, filter the liquid and take up in 1 tbsp. l. diluted 2 times daily.
Keep in mind that these products can cause unwanted reactions. It is not recommended for allergies, acute inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, hemorrhoids, renal failure, diseases of the urogenital system.
Traditional medicine recommends applying a slice of green tomato to the sore veins. This should be done at night for a long time. The secret of the method lies in its lycopene content, an antioxidant that increases the elasticity of blood vessels and protects them from the effects of free radicals.
The substance prevents the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins, which causes the formation of cholesterol plaques and blockage of the vascular lumen.
Tomatoes are useful not only for compresses, but also for regular consumption.
The composition of the plant determines its strengthening and toning properties. Nettle reduces the viscosity of the blood, thus ensuring its normal circulation. It eliminates congestion, speeds up regeneration processes and prevents the appearance of cholesterol build-up.
Ways to use nettle:
- Leaves (1 tablespoon L. ) Place in a bowl, fill with water (200 ml) and place on the fire. After boiling, the stove must be switched off. The cooled broth is filtered and drunk three times a day for 20 minutes before eating.
- The dried plant (6 tablespoons L. ) should be poured with vodka (0, 5 l) and stand in a dark place for 2 days. The tincture should be taken with 1 tablespoon before meals. l. It is used 3 times a day and is also used for compresses.
The first positive results can only be observed after 2-3 months, but the course should take much longer.
Nettle-based products are contraindicated in patients with allergic reactions, diabetes, trophic ulcers, hypertension.
If there is a characteristic symptom that accompanies varicose veins in the legs in men, many other folk remedies will help:
- The sour milk is mixed with the chopped curd to a pasty state. The mixture should be applied to the gauze and applied to problem areas overnight. There should be a break after 5 days of therapy.
- Pour the ground nutmeg (1 teaspoon) with boiling water (1 cup) and add honey (1 tsp). The drink should be taken 30 minutes after the pre-meal attachment and then after a further 2 hours.
- For tincture pour alcohol (0, 5 l) horse chestnut flowers (50 g) and let stand for 2 weeks. The medicine is shaken every day. Reception system - three times a day, 1 tbsp. l. , wash with water.
Important: Nutmeg can relieve painful discomfort and accelerate the healing of trophic ulcers. However, non-compliance with the standard can have dangerous consequences. You can consume up to 3-5 g at a time.
Treatment with external use
In the case of varicose veins in the lower extremities, therapy with external agents is recommended. It is helpful for men who have diseased blood vessels on their feet to use ointments and gels that are especially good at eliminating the initial manifestations of an unpleasant disease.
Compared to ointments, the gels have a lighter consistency, allowing them to be quickly absorbed into the skin and delivering healing agents to the affected area in a short time.
Both women and men suffer from the development of varicose veins, while the causes of the disorder are very varied. And in order to cope with the signs of the disease, which become more pronounced as they progress, phlebologists advise them to act in a complex way.
In other words, patients with a deformed vein in the legs should be supplemented with medication by wearing compression stockings, performing a number of exercises, and receiving massage therapy.
Physiotherapy practices, although not completely eliminate the pathological manifestations, but significantly improve the condition of the veins. You don’t just have to train in the presence of illness. Gymnastics is an excellent prevention against varicose veins in men's legs.
The point is that the exercises are selected by a phlebologist, as it is important to consider the severity of the disease, concomitant pathologies, and other factors.
In case of varicose veins, it is useful to do the following:
- Simulate cycling on the floor or in bed. You need to rest after 30 turns.
- While sitting in a chair, alternately lift the socks and then the heels (20-30 times).
- Lie on your back, legs outstretched, bend your toes out (20 reps).
- Walking on tiptoe in multiple approaches. You can just stay put.
A great solution for daily cycling in the fresh air. Ultimately, an exercise bike in the gym or at home will do.
Surely there is no longer any doubt as to whether men have varicose veins. Accordingly, they need a competent approach to the treatment of pathology. As far as massage is concerned, a properly performed procedure will help reduce pain in the lower extremities and improve blood circulation.
A similar method of treating the violation is most effective at the stage of the disease when there are no pronounced symptoms.
- injuries, cuts on the skin of the feet;
- feverish condition;
- inflammatory or infectious process;
It is advisable to entrust the massage to a qualified professional. If a man chooses to perform the procedure on his own, it is important to be extremely careful.
Before sitting, keep your legs raised and apply anti-varicose ointment.
The massage should be done regularly, only after the first effect appears.
Signs of varicose veins are controlled by:
- caressing from ankle to knee;
- circular movements in the leg;
- intensive thigh massage;
- circular and zigzag movements in the lumbar region.
At the end of the procedure, stockings should be worn or an elastic bandage used.
Wearing a knitwear with compression properties allows the load on the lower extremities to be evenly distributed, removing the feeling of heaviness and fatigue, and avoiding the progression of the pathology.
Manufacturers make underwear for both women and the stronger sex.
Medical jerseys are presented in the following forms:
One or the other option is selected taking into account the location of the deformed vessels.
In addition, the stage of the disease counts:
- For initial symptoms, compression knee pants no larger than 21 mmHg are suitable. Art.
- For progressive varicose veins and thrombophlebitis, men should use stockings from varicose veins up to 32 mm Hg. Art. It is also prescribed after surgery.
- In case of lymphovenous insufficiency, trophic disorders, the use of knitwear of category 3 is recommended (pressure indicator - up to 46 mmHg).
- In the case of severe pathology accompanied by thrombosis and lymphedema, underwear with a compression of 49 mm or more should be worn. rt. Art.
To prevent the appearance of a violation, especially in the postoperative period, the use of prophylactic knitwear (15-18 mmHg) is recommended.
In men, varicose veins are quite treatable if you consult a phlebologist in time. The longer the disease lasts and the more intense its symptoms, the greater the risk of dangerous complications.