Based on anatomical features, human blood vessels consist of a layered wall and valves. With a constant orthostatic effect on the legs, an increase in diastolic pressure occurs. Because of their flexibility, the blood vessels form varicose veins.
Anti-varicose compression underwear has the opposite effect. Due to the distribution of pressure over the entire surface of the foot, it is possible to normalize the condition of the vessels. The diameter decreases and the blood flow is not obstructed by the vascular bifurcation, the pressure decreases.
The purpose of compression underwear
In case of varicose veins, assigning the use of a compression garment is the first step towards treating the disease. The appearance of varicose veins is often caused by a violation of blood circulation and a lack of muscle tone. The presence of thrombophlebitis and other vascular diseases contributes to the complications of varicose veins.
The date may be needed due to risk factors for varicose veins. These include:
- to exercise;
- constant orthostatic pressure on the legs;
- pathology of the limbs and the cardiovascular system.
Compressive pressure in varicose veins is needed to restore the tone of blood vessels, muscles and joints. And if necessary, normalize blood flow in the vessels and reduce edema in varicose veins.
Compression garments relieve fatigue and pain in the limbs affected by varicose veins.
Despite the presence of varicose veins, compression clothing may be prescribed after surgery. In cases where varicose veins are treated with surgery, the postoperative period is accompanied by limb compression. This allows the pots to regenerate and not lose the elements for the stretching that accompanies the procedures.
Compression underwear is able to remove excess fluid and participate in heat transfer, as well as create the necessary constant pressure to relieve pain in varicose veins. Therapeutic underwear does not contribute to the occurrence of allergic reactions, its substances do not participate in the reaction.
The material of the canvas follows the contours of the body where necessary and fits snugly to it. Over time, the material becomes stronger and remembers the shape of the body.
Compression underwear for the treatment of varicose veins is made of microfiber material, elastic materials: nylon and cotton fibers, lycra. The tensile properties of these materials give pressure to the wearer.
The product is used only with the appointment of a phlebologist. Such thoroughness applies only to garments of class 1-4 with a pressure of 24 millimeters of mercury. This is necessary to rule out the possibility of vascular damage due to improper use of compaction.
Because prophylactic compression products can weigh up to 18 millimeters of mercury, their use is not harmful to health and can be used without the advice of a phlebologist.
When choosing underwear, you need to follow a few criteria:
- Originality. It is important that the product comes from the original supplier. Counterfeits often use poor quality or poor materials. This leads to improper compaction or rapid product wear.
- The size. The right size choice ensures the correctness of compression therapy.
- Use the required class. It is not recommended to use a different class of underwear instead of the selected underwear.
All companies that manufacture compression clothing for the treatment of varicose veins are guided by international standards. Before the start of production and after the successful completion of the tests, the companies receive a certificate, which means that the product is actually used for medicinal purposes.
Representatives of all companies must have the right to market the products. If there is no such document, the product is not original.
The anti-embolism underwear class is covered by a separate certificate. Because such compression products are used exclusively to treat health conditions, companies are certified to a health standard.
Classification and types
All compression products for the treatment of varicose veins are divided according to the following characteristics: the degree of compression, the form of release, and the purpose of the meeting.
The classification distinguishes four product classes:
- The first class is for tumors of the varicose veins or for prophylactic purposes. The maximum class pressure is 23 millimeters of mercury.
- The second class is used to treat varicose veins or thrombophlebitis. The maximum pressure is 33 millimeters of mercury. The second class, with vasodilation, is applicable only to mild forms of the disease.
- The third class is indicated for acute venous insufficiency as well as violation of cellular metabolism. The maximum pressure is 45 millimeters of mercury.
- The fourth class is about rehabilitation. It is most commonly used in the postoperative period when the vascular system and muscles are unable to maintain normal blood flow on their own or are at risk of developing varicose symptoms.
- Hospital. It is used in the postoperative period only under constant medical supervision.
- Prophylactic. In cases where the first signs of vascular disease appear - varicose veins.
- Medical. I use it to treat chronic vascular diseases, it eliminates symptoms.
Compression garments with a pressure of 33 to 45 millimeters of mercury are commonly used for medical purposes. Phlebologists consider this pressure to be optimal for therapy.
The selection of compression underwear is varied, the manufacturers also offer men's and women's models.
They are represented by the following types:
- Stockings. A medical leotard in this form only reaches the thighs. The main purpose of the application is to eliminate the swelling and varicose veins of the lower leg and thigh. The stockings help keep the blood vessels in good shape, which prevents the blood vessels from clogging.
- Tights. The appearance of compression stockings is similar to traditional products. The stockings fit snugly all over the leg - from toe to waist. The treatment covers the area around the tibia, thigh and groin. Wearing stockings is only recommended in cases where the varicose veins above the knee joint are extensive.
- Knee pants and leggings. Knee height extends only to the lower leg. This allows you to apply point compression only on the leg in the development of varicose veins. Knee pants are very popular among pregnant women. The sock eliminates swelling and normalizes blood flow. A foot warmer differs from golf only in the absence of socks. However, the effect is the same.
- Fingers. They are primarily used to stop the accumulation of lymph fluid, which causes significant swelling of the limb. This often occurs after upper body surgery.
- During pregnancy. During pregnancy, a compression dress will help eliminate foot swelling and prevent the onset of varicose vein symptoms.
The use of compression underwear during pregnancy relieves the load on the lumbar region, allowing the correct posture to be maintained at all times. This promotes better oxygen exchange between the fetus and the mother.
How to choose the size?
The size of the compression garment for varicose veins is selected based on body size. It is not recommended to use underwear that is larger or smaller than prescribed by your doctor. Such wear is uncomfortable and aggravates the development of the disease or does not help.
Before you buy, you need to measure:
- ankle circumference;
- the circumference of the bottleneck just below the knee;
- thigh circumference 25-30 centimeters in height;
- the total length of the foot from the heel to the groin;
- waist and hip size.
The circumference of the thighs of persons not exceeding 175 centimeters in height must be carried out at a height of 175 centimeters. Above this value, the countdown increases to 30 centimeters.
Only a phlebologist or a specially trained counselor can choose compression underwear.
After the measurements, the results should be compared with the size chart. Each manufacturer shall indicate this information on the packaging.
If the size of your legs and waist does not match the sizes available, you may want to refuse to use tights. Their use will not be affected. You may want to pay attention to your leggings or stockings.
The maximum effect of using a compression garment can only be achieved with proper use. The treatment process will only continue if the jersey is worn properly.
To do this, follow the recommendations:
- in the morning bedding should be picked up in a horizontal position;
- for convenience, the upper part folds into an accordion and extends from the lower part;
- you should first start dressing by lightly embroidering the leg and toe area;
- straightens the material without pulling the full length of the thigh.
If leggings or stockings are used, their pulling should be limited to their average length when taut.
If you have edema with varicose veins or use high-pressure underwear, a special device should be used for filling.
For long-term use of compression underwear for the treatment of varicose veins, follow the rules for the care of compression underwear:
- laundry should only be washed in manual mode with a low-alkali shampoo;
- the maximum water temperature must be between 30 and 40 degrees;
- the product is dried only in a horizontal position and without direct sunlight and without high temperatures;
- when using gel strip products, it is advisable to prevent liquid from getting on this tape, as this will impair skin contact.
It is recommended to use several pairs of compression garments at the same time. This avoids rapid wear of the garment.
Wearing a compression garment is recommended for anyone who experiences frequent limb pressure or after surgery, resulting in normalized pressure and improved blood flow.
The variety of models and classifications allows you to approach the problem of garment selection individually. Caring for and applying compression underwear to treat varicose veins is not difficult. If all operating rules are followed, the therapeutic properties of the substance can be maintained for up to 10 months.